The Community Health Worker (CHW) will be responsible for helping and supporting children with high risk asthma and their families to acquire preventive and follow-up health care needs, navigate and access healthcare services, educate families on the importance of healthcare follow-ups, reinforce disease specific education, perform medication reconciliation, and provide services to address barriers to healthcare follow-up. The CHW works collaboratively with a team of healthcare professionals to provide patients with opportunities to stabilize and improve their health. The position involves making home and community visits. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in MLH Mission, Vision and Values.
- Bachelor's degree in Health, Social Services, Human Services, or related field.
- High School Education or GED and three years of experience working in a position requiring interaction with customers or patients.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Prior experience working in community outreach programs is preferred.
- Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office program (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to demonstrate human interaction skills to successfully engage families in acquiring needed health care for children.
- Ability to communicate effectively with health care providers.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment with tact and diplomacy in all situations.
- Ability to assess needs of families and respond appropriately.
- Ability to integrate knowledge and theory into practice.
- Ability to demonstrate skill in organization, coordination and time management.
- Must be able to provide effective education and instructions to parents and children.
- Must be able to communicate verbally in an effective and positive manner with parents and children.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective communication and negotiating skills with and between individuals and groups of people from all socioeconomic backgrounds, including Associates, social services providers, business entities, and students and their families.
- Strong influencing, coaching and consultative skills.
- Must possess current driver's license and automobile for daily use in the position. Must maintain auto liability insurance.