Performs daily activities for cleaning, decontamination, packaging, sterilizing and storing of surgical instruments and supplies. May serve as a resource person for the non-certified SPD techs. Maintains inventory levels and ensures proper care and operation of equipment. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in The Methodist Mission, Vision, and Values.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Certification as a SPD Technician (CBSPD) by a nationally recognized certifying board is required. CRCST certification (IAHCSMM) will also be considered as an alternative. Current certification must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
- Completion of a formal training program in surgical technology is preferred.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum one year experience in sterile processing and/or surgical tech field.
- Sound working knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures related to the surgical sterile process.
- Understands the principles and procedures related to infection control and aseptic technique.
- Demonstrates competency required to operate sterile processing related equipment and supplies and perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to work without close supervision and exercise initiative and independent judgment once technical training has been completed.
- Exhibit manual dexterity and speed in performing assembly line tasks.
- Ability to communicate promptly, clearly and accurately in both written and oral form.
- Ability to organize tasks and maintain control of work flow.
- Work requires the ability to read and understand complex instructions and perform basic arithmetic calculations.